Wednesday, January 11, 2012

My poor sick kid (part 2): How Sabe got Roseola Rash

Like I mentioned in my previous post, after we had the blood test done for both kids, Miley was already ok. If you notice the blog title, it's "My poor sick kid" na (not "kids" anymore hehe). This post will tackle what happened to Sabe who got Roseola. (*Warning: gross pictures of rashes coming up. It's just that I want other mommies like me who will encounter this virus for the first time to know what it is and what it looks like.)

Day 6 (Friday) – Vins and I went back to Makati Med to get the results of the blood and urine tests – both negative for dengue and normal for the other tests.  We noticed that Sabe’s rashes did spread to his face and legs. He also had difficulty sleeping because I guess it was itchy. We brought him with us so we could again show him to the pedia and she reassured us that it was nothing to be worried about and prescribed Benadryl for itching. Since we were at Makati Med already, I also passed by my OB-GYN and when she saw Sabe, she said it looked like Roseola. I had no idea what all these viruses were, it was the first time I was encountering these terms! When we got home from the hospital at around 1:30pm, Sabe's rashes looked like this:

still smiling!

But by 8:30pm, Sabe’s rashes went from bad to worse! I got so scared with the way he looked even if the doctor warned us about this. I guess I should have been more prepared but it was a LOT! Para siyang rashes na tinubuan ng katawan! Every inch of his skin had rashes! I wanted to cry already when I lifted his shirt and saw his tummy.


We had Miley stay first at my in-laws although the doctor said it wasn’t contagious naman, but better safe than sorry.

I did research on both Hand, Foot and Mouth disease and Roseola:

Hand-foot-and-mouth disease is a common childhood illness. It causes sores in the mouth and on the hands, feet, and sometimes the buttocks and legs. Mouth sores can be painful and may make it hard for your child to eat. The disease is not serious, and it usually goes away in a week or so.

Roseola (also known as sixth disease, exanthem subitum, and roseola infantum) is a viral illness in young kids, most commonly affecting those between 6 months and 2 years old. It is usually marked by several days of high fever, followed by a distinctive rash just as the fever breaks. 

Sabe definitely had ROSEOLA.

Day 7 (Saturday) – Sabe's rashes were still the same and I think this was really the peak of the outbreak. I was just really getting so depressed at this point. I mean this was the first time that Sabe ever got sick and it hurt me to see him looking like this! Everytime I saw him crying or scratching, I felt my heart breaking.

my poor miserable baby!
more rashes on his legs (it looked worse in real life, trust me)

Day 8 (Sunday) – He still had on and off fever. Then he started vomiting his milk (about 4 times) but I think it was mainly because he kept crying everytime we gave him medicine.

I also read this on the internet though so maybe it was also a symptom: In rare cases, there may be other physical symptoms arising from Roseola Rash and vomiting is one of them. Because of high fever in Roseola Rash toddlers may vomit. 

My mom and sister came to visit and I already warned them about the rash. I was as honest as possible telling them it was a lot so don't get shocked when you see him. But when my mom came in the room and saw Sabe she started crying because she didn't know it looked that bad and he looked so kawawa daw.

Day 9 (Monday) – Fever was gone, Sabe was already active, and the rashes seem to be getting better! I could finally breathe again! I kept praying and thanking God that everything seemed to be okay already.

rashes seemed to be dying up
still a lot but definitely improved
back to his normal self (almost!)

Day 10 (Tuesday) - It seemed all of Sabe's pent up energy from being sick the past couple of days suddenly came out! He was so hyper again, climbing and crawling over everything and anything - and I couldn't be happier!
HAPPY!
rashes were all dried up

almost gone!

Now, I'm just so grateful that both Miley and Sabe are already okay. I'm also thankful that it wasn't serious enough and that nobody had to be confined at the hospital. Hopefully, even though we started this 2012 with getting sick, we'll continue on with being healthy and happy for the rest of the year!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...