Friday, September 7, 2012

Sydney Sights

Whew, finally I can post some pictures from my recent trip to Sydney, Australia. I just had to finish uploading the photos in my Facebook page haha! I swear, I have so many shots of every place (from every angle!), it was so hard choosing which ones to share. ;p

Anyway, I just have to say that I am so in love with Sydney. The city is so beautiful and clean, plus it is so easy to get around using public transportation. But it is VERY EXPENSIVE! Take note that it is one of the most expensive places to live in the world. It just so happens that my high school kabarkada moved there with her husband so we were able to stay in their apartment which was right in the middle of the CBD. If we didn't have a place to crash, this trip probably wouldn't have happened hehe! Well, it still might have since this was sort of my 30th birthday gift to myself. =)

Here are some of the popular tourist spots and amazing places we saw around the city:

SYDNEY OPERA HOUSE
I was so excited when I first saw the Opera House! I mean, this is probably the most iconic landmark of Australia. I loved watching it from afar whenever we rode the ferry. Of course, we also had to go inside (parang CCP lang naman ang peg).


CIRCULAR QUAY
This is where we'd catch all the ferries going to different points like Manly Beach, Taronga Zoo, etc. A lot of street artists perform here for tips. It also offers a really nice view of the Sydney Harbour Bridge.


THE ROCKS
We didn't really spend a lot of time here, but it is a popular tourist spot which has a lot of historical buildings as well as souvenir shops and pubs.


DARLING HARBOUR
This is where the Sydney Aquarium and Wildlife World is, as well as Madame Tussauds Wax Museum (we didn't go inside anymore, probably next time when the kids are with us). Lots of restaurants especially along Cockle Bay and King Street Wharf, but we loved eating in Hurricane's Grill inside the Harbourside Shopping Centre. They have the best ribs. A must try!


ROYAL BOTANIC GARDENS
Its hard to believe that a garden so huge and sprawling is just within the city. The Royal Botanic Garden is just beside the Opera House and is a nice place to just relax and admire the beauty of nature. We saw a lot of people jogging and exercising here (even though it was freezing cold!). We walked all the way to Mrs. Macquarie's Point, a popular lookout position, which shows an excellent view of the harbour with both the Opera House and the Sydney Harbour Bridge.


GEORGE ST. & MARTIN PLACE
I loved walking along George St. with all the beautiful stone buildings and architecture. This is where we'd ride the train from Wynyard Station or get off the bus going home. From my friend's place, we could just walk to George St. then walk the length of it to get to The Rocks or Circular Quay.


MUSEUM OF CONTEMPORARY ART
I'm not much of a museum person, but I figured I'll go to this one since they were having a free exhibit as part of the 18th Biennale of Sydneyan international festival of contemporary art, held every two years. It was interesting but after going around, I came to the conclusion that I am still not a museum person. ;p


ST. MARY'S CATHEDRAL
The largest church in Australia. We weren't able to go to mass here since we missed the time, but we still went inside to pray. No photography allowed inside, but it was really beautiful. Just across the street is Hyde Park.


Before we got to Sydney, I was planning our itinerary with my friend. She kept saying that there were so many things to do and see that it would be hard to fit everything we wanted to do. And she was right! This doesn't even include the day trips we took around the city which I'll post in the coming days. =)

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...