Saturday, August 30, 2014

Korea, here I come!

My hubby will be going to Korea for work for a few days and after much deliberation, I've decided to join him. I really had to think hard about it since I'm still exclusively breastfeeding Skyler. I thought about bringing him, but then decided against it. I personally feel that young kids, especially those 1 year old and below, won't appreciate or remember anything from the trip anyway. And they'll just get tired particularly if you spend the whole day outside walking and sightseeing. Kawawa naman especially if it's hot or you go to crowded places. For me, I feel that it's better for them to stay at home where they'll be more comfortable. Of course, it's a different story if you have no one to leave your baby with. But in my case, my mom was very willing to take care of the kids while we're away.

Don't get me wrong, I admire parents who bring their kids everywhere because I know it's not easy. We've traveled with Miley and Sabre last year to Singapore without a yaya and it was definitely challenging. Anytime you travel with kids, you have to think about them first. You have to realize that you can't go to all the places you want or do everything on your itinerary. You have to deal with temper tantrums, bathroom breaks, lugging around strollers and heavy baby bags... At times, it may not even feel like a vacation since you're extra tired too!

I'm sure for other parents, the prospect of leaving their kids while they go away seems outrageous. And I do understand that feeling as well. I think anytime you're away from you're kids, you get apprehensive and end up missing and thinking about them the whole time.

This will be the first time I'll be away from Skyler since he was born so I'm still honestly feeling mommy guilt. But he's turning 8 months now and I think I've got to cut myself some slack. Breastfeeding makes things a little bit more difficult, but I've been working on my milk stash this past month so Skyler will have plenty to drink while I'm away. I also fully intend to pump on this trip and bring my breastmilk home. I've already done the research and bought all the necessary storage supplies.

Bottom-line, I'm going on this trip since I believe it's important to have a break once in a while. Like any other job, being a stay-at-home mom can be exhausting. I love my kids but there are honestly days when I just want to get some "me" time. This will also be a great time for me and hubby to spend quality time together which I think is important for any couple. :)

So yes, I've finally allowed myself to get excited about this trip since this will also be my first time to visit Korea. I'm sure I'll miss my kids everyday and I'll probably be thinking about them the whole time I'm there. But I also know that when I come back, I'll be recharged and ready to face my mommy duties head on once more! :)

source

4 comments:

  1. Hi mommy helene! I truly support you in taking this trip. You are a diligent mom and i truly admire your being hands on with your 3 adorable kids. Happy mommy = happy family :) Pls continue to share your mommy thoughts and adventures since i really learn a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your kind words :) I really appreciate it!

      Delete
  2. I definitely agree with you Ms. Helene! My hubby and I will be having a trip. It's my first time too to be away with the kids ever since I have the two of time. Maybe I'll get some inspiration from you. It's been a looong while that we haven't spent together with just the two of us... To keep in mind that away from them is just a charging up for the kids also... enjoy your trip with the hubs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks sis! I'm glad you're also going to spend some time with your hubby. Go lang and enjoy! We deserve it hehe! ;p

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...