Sunday, February 19, 2012

10 Things Never to Say to a Stay-at-Home Mom

Reposting this article I saw online on the 10 THINGS NEVER TO SAY TO A STAY-AT-HOME MOM. It's so funny since I really hear some of these statements whenever I tell someone I'm now a housewife and a full time mommy.

1. When the kids are older, do you think you'll get a real job? 

2. How June Cleaver of you! 
 
3. Oh, so you don't work? 
 
4. Since you have extra time on your hands, could you whip up a few dozen brownies for the bake sale tomorrow? 

5. All day with your kids? I can't even imagine. 
 
6. I'm jealous. I wish my husband were rich so I wouldn't have to work either.
 
7. What do you do all day, anyway? 
 
8. I'm sure you're not the only one who's ever wasted money on a college degree.
 
9. That explains why your son is so clingy!
 
10. Weird. I assumed your house would be superclean. 

-Candy Kirby of thelaughingstork.com, with help from her Twitter followers and friends
 
Photo Credit: Jamie Grill/Iconica/Getty Images

----o----

On the other end of the spectrum, reposting the article on the 10 THINGS NEVER TO SAY TO A WORKING MOM.


1. It must be hard missing all those special moments every day.

2. I suppose it's smart that you're working. You know, in case your husband leaves you some day.

3. I'm surprised you went back to work. Your husband seems so successful.

4. It's cute when they call your nanny "Mama."

5. I just love my kids too much to leave them during the day.

6. Did you see Dateline? The one with the hidden camera in the day care.

7. I could never let someone else raise my children. But that's just me!

8. I hated my mom because she was never home after school like everyone else's mom.

9. You must feel so guilty.

10. I wish I were as laid-back as you and could just let the housework go. 


-Liz Gumbinner of Mom-101.com, with help from her blog readers

Photo Credit: Henrik Sorensen/Iconica/Getty Images

----o----


I've experienced both situations and each has its pros and cons. When I was still working, I did feel guilty leaving Miley at home. I also felt so BAD whenever Miley would prefer her yaya over me. My heart would break when Miley would wake up and cry, and she wouldn't want me. She'd only stop when her yaya would come and carry her. That's when I decided that I wanted to try being a full time mom when I got pregnant again with Sabe. But despite the stress of my job, I have to admit that I also had fun working. I loved hanging out with my officemates. Working in Makati, I could just go to the mall on my lunch break or go out with my friends occasionally after work. I also enjoyed having my own money to buy what I wanted. You're not a bad mom if you choose to work rather than stay at home with your child. I believe some women are really career oriented and are happier knowing that they are providing for their children the best way they can. Or other moms have no choice and need to work because they can't afford to become a single income household.

I consider myself so lucky that I was given the chance to be a SAHM. I thank my husband for being so supportive of my decision to quit my job and take on this new role of being a housewife. I have to say though that now that I'm a SAHM, I've had more free time when I was still working even in a high pressure job such as advertising. When you're a full time mom, you don't get breaks or leaves. You're working every single minute of every day. But nothing is more rewarding than being there when your child does something for the first time or gives you a hug or kiss. Now, I'm happy to say that Miley always looks for me and has now grown quite attached to me. And whenever Sabe prefers me to carry him over anyone else, well that makes everything just worth it.

It's often been said that being a mom is the hardest job of all and I have to agree. So to all you mommies out there, working or at home, lets all give ourselves a pat on the back for taking on the very challenging job of being mothers.


2 comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...