Saturday, May 25, 2013

Miley's Summer School experience

When we decided on Miley's preschool, we were encouraged to enroll her in summer class. It was a 3-week program (9-11am / M-W-F) to basically get incoming new students used to the classroom feel and be comfortable before their actual classes start. You know, so they won't cry anymore during their 1st official school day even without mommy & daddy around. :)

I was really nervous for Miley's 1st day since I didn't know how she would react. And to top it all off, I even drove the car to school (if you remember, I just finished driving classes 2 months ago so I'm still new at this). Well, we got there in one piece although hubby had to park the car for me hihi!


There were already lots of kids when we arrived. What was great is that our family friends also enrolled their daughter here, so at least Miley already knew someone. :)

Well, as expected, most of the kids were crying and clinging to their parents/guardians. When we went inside their classroom, I was able to leave Miley and step out. But I think she realized that the other kids still had their mommies around, so she started looking for me. Well, I pretty much stayed the entire time inside the classroom, along with most of the other moms haha! But I honestly didn't mind because I got to see the activities they did and how Miley interacted with the other kids. Let me tell you though, I think Miley was the most active out of all the students! She kept running around and playing with the other kids (holding their hands, touching their hair) while the teacher was reading them a story. And she was so BIBO haha! When the teacher got the arts and crafts materials, Miley got so excited. She kept standing in front of the teacher while the teacher was explaining and kept saying "my turn! my turn!" Uh-oh, looks like the teacher got herself a handful hehe!


Anyway, Miley was able to really focus when they did arts & crafts. Look at the stuff she made, even the teacher was impressed at how well Miley colored the octopus! Good job baby!


When I brought Miley to school for her 2nd day of summer class, she immediately started playing with the toys inside the classroom. I used this time to step out and stay at the waiting area. Based on my experience - out of sight, out of mind. As long as Miley doesn't catch a glimpse of me outside the classroom, she'll be okay as long as the teachers are able to distract her. Because once she sees me, then she'll start asking for me and would want me to stay inside. And it worked! I was outside for 2 hours and the teacher didn't come and get me. When I picked her up after class, the teacher said she was fine (and much behaved than last time hehe). I just wished there was a TV in the waiting room that shows what is going on inside the classroom. Wouldn't that be a great idea? ;p It's just that I kept asking Miley what they did and she would give such vague answers haha!

Me: Miley did you have fun in school today?
Miley: Uh-huh
Me: What did you do?
Miley: *smiles*
Me: Did you dance?
Miley: Uh-huh
Me: Did you sing?
Miley: Uh-huh
Me: What story did the teacher read?
Miley: Turtle...
Hubby: Ah! Turtle and the Rabbit!
Miley: no, the HARE! (onga naman)

Well, from then on, we would have no problems leaving her in school. Once she enters the classroom, she immediately starts playing and won't even look back at us (ahuhu so this is how it starts...lol!). There were other kids who were still crying and had their mommies with them in all sessions (actually there were times I would secretly hope Miley would ask me to stay ;p). I'm just so happy that she was able to adjust so quickly (hopefully, Sabe will follow suit ;p).

At the end of the program, I was surprised to receive a letter that they would be having a culminating activity with performances from the students! I was so excited and nervous at the same time. I just didn't know if Miley would dance in front of people. Well... SHE DID! I was afraid that once she saw us she would run to us or something (of course, we got a seat on the front row hehe). But, she was able to do the steps, although there were times she would get distracted or want to play with the other kids. But she was able to get through it and I couldn't be happier and prouder! After the performance, they distributed the kids' certificates and portfolios (which were the artworks they did). I was just beaming with pride the whole time. And to think this is just for SUMMER SCHOOL haha! What more when it's their real graduation from grade school, high school, or college? It was just a really great feeling as a parent. :)

Go Miley!
awarding of certificates
Miley's artworks from the summer program

Now, we're done with enrollment and all set for Miley's 1st official school day. I can't wait to see her in her uniform! I think I'll cry haha! Anyway, I gotta go practice driving some more since I'll be the designated driver once the school year starts. Wish us luck! ;p

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...