Thursday, October 4, 2018

Decluttering and Organizing our home (part 1)

I'm sure I'm not the only one with dreams of having a perfectly clutter-free home. Especially for those with kids, it's such a struggle to keep everything neat and orderly with their endless toys, books, clothes, and shoes everywhere! I mean you've just put back all their toys in the bin and arranged their books on the shelf, and barely 10 minutes have passed and they dump everything on the floor again! Honestly, why do we even bother?!

Anyway, I've been seeing a lot of those professional organizers online these days, hired by celebrities to tidy up their closets. I wish I had the budget for one, but I know I can do it as long as I put my mind to it! Challenge accepted! ;p


As you can see above, this is one part of our storage area which probably consists of 80% kids' stuff. We usually just dump everything here, especially when we have guests and we want them to think our house is immaculate lol!

As you can imagine, finding anything is such a pain since it's just so messy! You can't even walk properly without stepping on something.

I definitely knew I wanted to put shelves to maximize the space. I got these steel racks from Metro Department Store. They're a bit pricey but I waited until they were on sale and if I remember I got each rack for less than P1,500 (more than 50% off)! And they were so WORTH IT!

they come in different widths and heights so make sure to measure which best fits your space

Next I bought a ton on these plastic bins/orocans to help organize the stuff properly. Again I waited until there was a sale since I bought a lot (also from Metro Department Store). Try to look for Buy 1 Take 1 deals. I got the white plastic ones so I could see at a glance what were inside the bins. But I also ended up labelling them.


Probably the hardest part when decluttering is deciding what to keep or throw away. I get easily sentimental, but then as Marie Kondo said "Does it spark joy in you?" lol! Haven't read the book but I will one of these days!

Anyway, I think the biggest mistake is letting your kids (or even your husband!) see the stuff you plan to throw away. Because half of that will end up back in the shelves or their closets. So just do your own thing and what they don't know won't kill them haha! ;p

getting there...

And TADA, here is our storage area now! I'm just soooo happy we can see the floors and walk around the space! I still have a long way to go (that other side still needs work) but I'm so proud of myself for getting this far. Seriously I spent a long time here just staring at the racks and feeling so accomplished!


I've been putting off working on the other area in this space, but will update you once I finally finish! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...