Saturday, October 27, 2018

DIY School Supplies Family Costume

It's Halloween time again! I admit I was a bit lazy at first with the kids' costumes this year. Usually I have a theme all planned out months in advance, but before I knew it, I realized it was October already and we had nothing! I just wanted to buy something but when I told my daughter to choose from an online store, she looked at me incredulously and said "You're NOT making our costumes?! You HAVE to!!!" Ooops, that's what I get from them being used to all my DIY projects haha!


Anyway, my daughter insisted that she wanted to be a crayon and by default, the two boys were now crayons too (you can tell who's the boss in our family lol!). And since I wanted everybody to match, I figured me and hubby will go as a pencil and a notepad as well.

Felt was definitely the easiest material to use (no sewing required!). You can find some at Metro Department Store for P130 a yard. They only had basic colors which was fine, and they didn't have black so I got dark blue instead (which looks like black anyway). I also found other colors at Common Room PH (from Pop Junk Love) in the ATC cinema area. But they sell pre-cut pieces and they were a bit expensive (P109 for a small 18"x16" size) but I really needed the colors (pink and light blue). My total cost for all the felt was less than P1000.


CRAYON

What you'll need:
- colored and black felt
- scissors
- pencil
- ruler
- glue gun
- old party hat
- small piece of ribbon

What I love about felt is it's so easy to use! Even the kids helped in cutting it out. For the crayon, I just measured around the kids body for the base of the costume. I didn't want it to be too long as well since they might have a hard time walking so we just cut it knee length.


Then I cut 2 long strips of the black felt and made wavy lines in the middle which you'll also cut out.



Cut out an oval shape for the base of the Crayola logo. Glue gun everything in place.


For the logo, I just did it freehand on a piece of paper first so I get the right size and spacing. Then I cut out the letters individually and traced it on the felt.


I used the colored felt as the first layer so it will be like an outline, just like the actual logo.


To make it easier for me, I also cut out small shapes for inside of the letters a and o.


Then I cut out thin strips for the straps. I attached it criss-cross so it wouldn't fall off the shoulders when worn.


I left the back part open since it would be too constricting for the kids to walk if I closed it completely. I made holes at the top part and used a ribbon to close the costume.


For the tip of the crayon, I just used an old party hat and covered it with the same colored felt.


How cute did it turn out? I just made them wear matching colored shirts which we already had from our previous Mario Bros. costume (just realized we also had the same color scheme last year!). I didn't make them wear leggings anymore since it was too hot.



PENCIL

What you'll need:
- yellow, pink, and black felt
- scissors
- pencil
- ruler
- glue gun
- old party hat
- black marker
- small piece of ribbon

I decided to be the pencil and it's the exact same process as how I did the crayon.


I cut out the MONGOL logo letters individually. Good thing I had the pencil as guide hehe.


I also cut out 2 long strips of black felt and used the pink felt as the eraser part.


For the tip of the pencil, I just turned an old party hat inside out and colored the top with a marker.


Ta-da! This turned out better than I expected and I'm super happy with it!


NOTEPAD

What you'll need:
- old white shirt
- pencil
- ruler
- red and blue markers

This was inspired by Studio DIY and is probably the easiest costume ever! Took me 5 minutes to do. Then just wear the shirt with some jeans and you're good to go.



And there you have it, our family school supplies costume!

2 comments:

  1. Ang galing! You're really creative, Helene!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ang galing mu talaga sa ganito muther! Metro Department Store sa Market Market ba? I've been looking on where to buy felt kc.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...