Saturday, May 14, 2016

Tokyo Travel Diaries: Shinjuku Gyoen

Since we traveled to Japan in late November last year, I definitely made it a point to visit parks around Tokyo to see the autumn foliage. Shinjuku Gyoen is one of Tokyo's largest and most popular parks and is located just a short walk from Shinjuku Station.


Admission is 200 Yen per person and you get your tickets from a machine at the park's entrance.


Shinjuku Gyoen is HUGE and you could probably spend the whole day here just walking around and having a picnic. It actually feels like Central Park in New York since it's so amazing that this sprawling property is in the middle of the city.


The park is apparently one of the best places in the city to see cherry blossoms during spring. But if you can't visit in the spring, autumn is definitely the next best thing. The red and orange colors of the leaves were so beautiful! I think fall may just be my new favorite season. :)


It was so relaxing to just walk around, especially in the cool weather. And there weren't that much people around when we visited, which was on a Wednesday morning. But since the park is so spacious, I don't think it could really get that crowded. It really felt sometimes that hubby and I were the only ones there.


It started to drizzle for a bit and good thing we came prepared with an umbrella. That's why always check the weather forecast for the day when traveling. ;p But I honestly didn't mind since I always wanted to take pics with a clear umbrella haha!


Every inch of that park was Instagram-worthy, I kept thinking to myself this would be such a great place to have a pre-nup pictorial right? I wish I'd worn a flowy dress haha :) I kept stopping and asking hubby to take my photo everywhere! Anyway, WARNING! More pictures ahead!!!


This was definitely one of the prettiest places I've ever seen. I don't think we were even able to cover the whole park since we were kinda rushing as well. This was our last full day in Tokyo and we still had a lot on our itinerary. So I hope to visit again during the cherry blossom season in the future. :)


Get There and Around
Shinjuku Gyoen has three gates: Shinjuku Gate is a ten minute walk east from the "New South Exit" of JR Shinjuku Station or a five minute walk from Shinjukugyoenmae Station on the Marunouchi Subway Line. Okido Gate is also a five minute walk from Shinjukugyoenmae Station on the Marunouchi Subway Line. Finally, Sendagaya Gate is a five minute walk from JR Sendagaya Station on the local Chuo/Sobu Line.

Hours and Fees
HOURS: 9:00 to 16:30 (entry until 16:00)
CLOSED: Mondays (or following day if Monday is a national holiday), December 29 to January 3.
There are no closing days during the cherry blossom season (late March to late April) and the Chrysanthemum Exhibition (first half of November).
FEES: 200 yen

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...