Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Fifty Shades of Grey

I've been seeing a lot of other bloggers write about this book, so I'll also give it a go since I'm dying to tell you what I think about it. A friend asked me last month if I had already read 50 Shades of Grey. I hadn't and in fact just saw the books displayed prominently at National Bookstore. I had absolutely no idea what the books were about so I googled it and was surprised to learn that it is an erotic novel which features BDSM (bondage, discipline, sadism, and masochism).


Ok, so what can I say about the books? I am now on book 3 and I'm honestly finding it hard to finish it. The writer admits it is badly written and I have to agree. The books actually started as Twilight fan fiction and for me, you can really tell. She just changed the names of Edward and Bella, transferred the setting, and removed the vampire part. This book is about 75% sex and there are times I already find the situations and dialogue so cheesy and absurd! At first the scenes are exciting but then after a while, I can't help but roll my eyes and think "AGAIN?!! Wala bang kapaguran tong mga to?" And at first the inner goddess and lip-biting thing was tolerable, but after repeating it for every freaking paragraph, it just became flat out ANNOYING! And how is it that Christian never runs out of "foil packets"? Always prepared! 

I've told my hubby about the book and all he can say is "How did that become a bestseller? That's just Xerex!" Well, my friend sent me the e-books and I have to be honest and say that I have in turn sent it to my other friends. I believe this book is doing so well because of word of mouth. Anything worth talking about is worth sharing right? And me and my friends have discussed and laughed about this book. I mean, you just cannot take this book seriously. It is not a great literary work of art but a part of pop culture. Would you believe it is now the fastest-selling paperback of all time surpassing the Harry Potter series? Wow! Plus, I've read the sales of sex toys and accessories have increased significantly since the book came out (source). Good for them and for the people who are now more willing to experiment! Definitely, this book is a juicy and titallating read, which is probably why it has sold millions and millions of copies. I also think its because past erotic novels were mostly set in the olden times, so having modern day characters makes all the difference.

The only thing this book has got going for me is that I can totally imagine Ian Somerhalder as Christian Grey. I mean, look at him! He's exactly like the book describes Christian to be. *swoon!* He should totally be cast in the movie otherwise I'm not watching! haha!

source


Anyway, I saw this article online and would like to share it with you for a good laugh. Presenting, the 
15 Best/Worst Lines from Erotic Bestseller "Fifty Shades of Grey":


1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15

If you enjoyed that, go ahead and grab a copy of the books (if you haven't yet) haha! If you feel the same way as I do, try reading this review as well. It's one of the best (and funniest) reviews for me since I completely agree 100%! =)

2 comments:

  1. Hindi ko matatapos yang book na yan kasi nakakainis yung mga lines!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha nakakaloka siya talaga! Parang comedy na nga e! ;p

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...