Monday, July 2, 2018

Learning to sew at SEW EASY Studio

I remember my Lola was amazing at sewing. She would make clothes for me and my cousins when we were kids, entire dresses with ruffles, puffed sleeves, and aprons! I wish I had asked her to teach me back then, but I guess it wasn't interesting to me when I was younger.

We then had sewing classes when I was in High School and I remember the machines were not as easy to use as they are now. Parang un hand wheel that you turn on the side reminds me of Sleeping Beauty's spindle haha! Joke lang, I'm not that old ha! ;p But it was more of just passing the class rather than really learning and understanding how to sew.

Fast forward many years later and now using a sewing machine is a skill I wish I had. I would just hand sew everything when adjusting hems on clothes to curtains and it takes so long! And sometimes, I would think I can make pillow cases or even a simple dress if I just had a sewing machine.

So it was just luck when I chanced upon Sew Easy's Facebook page and saw that they were having "June Half Price Saturday” promo classes for adults. It was for one session only (the usual is 2) and cost P2,500 for a 2.5 hour class. I quickly signed up for the last slot just in time.



Sew Easy Sewing Studio, owned by Anne del Rosario, offers basic sewing classes for kids, teens and adults in Paranaque City. It used to be located in the building where Starbucks is along Aguirre Ave. (I remember passing by and seeing their signage before). But now, Anne has moved the studio to her house in BF Homes. Her home studio was lovely, bright, airy, and super clean! The space made for a very comfy and conducive learning experience.


I needed to bring my own cotton fabric, thread, and nylon cord for the class. Bought this fabric in Cotton Depot Festival Mall for just P60/yard. The nylon cord and thread I bought in Metro Department Store ATC.


The class was from 1:30 to 4pm and Anne made sure to remind us to be on time. The class is for a maximum of 5 students only because of the available number of sewing machines obviously. There were only 2 of us that day which was perfect since we were able to benefit from a really hands-on session.

To be honest, at first I was intimidated with the sewing machine. But Anne is such a great teacher that she was able to explain all the parts and functions so easily. You can tell she's very knowledgeble and passionate about what she does because it comes across while she teaches.


The first time I stepped on the foot pedal was probably the most nervous and exciting part! It takes some practice to get the right amount of pressure for a steady rhythm but once you get it, it's so easy. We did practice runs of straight lines, turning corners, and closing stitches. Me and my other classmate were so kilig after we completed sewing a continuous rectangle on this piece of cloth!


Then after, we were ready to make our first project - a drawstring bag. And I can't believe I was able to make this after just a few minutes!


Anne then iron-pressed the Sew Easy logo on my bag which made it look more legit! ;p

yes, I MADE THIS!
felt so proud and accomplished after!

The class was super fun and so worth it! I learned so much in the short amount of time and can now say I can confidently operate a sewing machine (just need to buy one asap haha!). There are also workshops for kids and I will definitely enroll my daughter here next time. I'm so glad I was able to join this class and will recommend this to anyone who wants to learn how to sew. Because now I can! :)

holding our finished drawstring bags with teacher Anne in the center



SEW EASY LEARNING STUDIO
BF Homes, Paranaque City
Website: www.seweasyforkidsmanila.com 
Facebook: www.facebook.com/seweasyforkids
Instagram: @seweasy
Email: seweasyforkids@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...