Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Pizzeria Mozza in MBS Sinagpore

I took a quick trip to Singapore last July to spend some quality time with my best friends (2 of which are based there). I've been to Singapore many times before but I never get tired of it. In fact, hubby and I would want to live here if we could. Anyway, the time we went was actually a long weekend since it was Eid’l Fitr or the end of the feast of Ramadan. I wouldn't actually choose this as the best time to go, but it was great for my friends since they had no work. I arrived on a Friday which was declared a holiday so there were so many people everywhere!

Our first order of business was to eat and everyone was in agreement to try the celebrity chef restaurant Pizzeria Mozza in Marina Bay Sands. If you're not familiar, it's owned by Mario Batali with Nancy Silverton and Joe Bastianich (you might know him as the former MasterChef judge) who brought the restaurant all the way from Los Angeles.


The place was obviously packed and we had to wait more than an hour and a half for a table. I asked my friends if it was always this full or just because it was a holiday, but it seems it's really a very popular restaurant any day of the week (tip: make a reservation if possible). Good thing there were many other places to see in the mall so we walked around first to pass the time.


It was almost 2pm when we were finally seated and the place was still full despite it being past lunch time already. Atmosphere was busy, bustling, and quite loud. Anyway, I later found out the Executive Chef was a Filipina named Karla Mendoza (I actually just saw a feature on her in TV Patrol the other day which reminded me to do this post hehe).


Adjacent to Pizzeria Mozza is the multi-awarded Osteria Mozza, which is the fine dining version that serves pasta and other main dishes .They're only open for dinner (5PM to 11PM) and brunch on Sundays (12PM - 12:30PM).


Anyway, being a celebrity chef restaurant, prices are a bit expensive as expected. Average cost for a pizza is about SGD$30 or P1,000. If I'm not mistaken, the size of the pizzas were about 10" (cut into 6 slices) so you could share it among 2 to even 3 people assuming you order other items. But if you're just ordering pizza and nothing else, you could easily finish the whole thing by yourself since these were thin crust.


I don't know about you but I kinda wish the menu had pictures or some English descriptions so I could visualize what I was going to order. I'm not a foodie (nor Italian) so some of the terms I couldn't understand haha! Like "al forno" means food that has been baked in an oven pala. Or "Arancine" are stuffed rice balls that are coated with breadcrumbs, "Lardo" are Italian cold cuts predominantly made from pork, and chicken wings "alla diavolo" means it's spicy. So better ask your server if you're not sure what it is on the menu.


Anyway, we were given complementary bread or more like thin and crispy crackers (placed in a paper bag) to start us off.


Then we just ordered a pizza that we each wanted to try and some appetizers to share.

Arancine alla Bolognese $15 (about Php495)
Fried squash blossoms with ricotta $16 (about Php530)
Bacon, salame, fennel sausage, pancetta, tomato & mozzarella $37 (about Php1,120)
Bone marrow al forno $18 (about Php595)
Margherita with mozzarella, tomato & basil $27 (about Php890)
Mussels al forno with salsa Calabrese $18 (about Php595)
Napolitana: tomatoes, olives, anchovies, moizzarella & fried capers $27 (about Php890)
Stracchino with rucola, basil pesto, tomato & red onion panini $22 (about Php725)
Prosciutto di Parma, rucola, tomato & mozzarella $31 (about Php1,025)

Personally, food was good but nothing amazing for me. I guess my taste buds are happy with simple food like Shakey's Hawaiian Delight pizza, which is my absolute fave haha! But that's just me! I've heard of others who absolutely loved this place and just can't stop raving about the food. I'm definitely glad I did try this place, but again quite expensive for the size of the servings. But of course, you're paying for the quality and the name right? At least I can say I've eaten in Mario Batali's restaurant na! ;p


But more importantly, I'm happy I was able to spend time with these girls! More on our Singapore escapade soon in the coming posts. :)



PIZZERIA MOZZA
B1-42-46, Galleria Level 
The Shoppes at Marina Bay Sands Singapore
(Across from the Theatre)
Daily Lunch & Dinner: 12:00pm - 11:00pm
Tel: +65 6688 8522
Website: pizzeriamozza.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...